The General Counsel is Events DC’s chief legal officer and advisor. The position reports to the President & CEO. This position is a member of the Executive Team. The General Counsel represents Events DC in all legal matters, provides legal guidance to the CEO and the Events DC Board of Directors and acts as a policy advisory on major all operations and major initiatives. The General Counsel hires, supervises and coordinates all external legal counsel and has overall responsibility for the Office of General Counsel (OGC), including the Ethics Officer. This incumbent will protect Events DC’s reputation, name, human and financial resources, programs and services. S/he will proactively identify and mitigate legal risk to protect Events DC from undue legal exposure, liability and significant financial loss while facilitating achievement of strategic and operational objectives of Board and management. This role will serve as Corporate Secretary with regards to the governance process of Events DC and its affiliates.
The influence of this position is broad, as legal approval is required for various operational and initiative-related matters, including new partnerships, services, and certain communications. Managing the legal risk of the organization, also involves decisions that could have significant financial implications. Additionally, this position has budget responsibility (development and monitoring) for annual expenditures in his/her areas of responsibility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment.
EXAMPLES OF WORK ASSIGNED
This position has the overall responsibility for directing and coordinating the activities inclusive of:
Legal Guidance and Compliance
Provide guidance and support to the Boards of Directors of Events DC and its affiliated entities on all legal matters
- Performs other such duties as assigned by the Board of Directors or the President & CEO.
- Determine the scope of involvement and assign/delegate legal action or review to OGC staff as appropriate. Determine if external legal counsel is needed and if so, retain and supervise external law firms representing Events DC.
- Provide legal guidance and support to the administrative, operational, and project staff of Events DC and its affiliates on all legal matters, including but not limited to hospitality, sports & entertainment, real estate development intellectual property, construction, sports and entertainment, administrative, insurance; employment; communications and media; privacy; technology; contract; and litigation; as well as local, and federal regulations.
- Supervise and monitor ethics and enterprise-wide risk management.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory filing requirements for lobbying activities, election activities, business licenses, sales and use tax, etc. in all applicable jurisdictions.
- Interprets laws, rulings and regulations for the Authority.
- Advises Board of Directors, President& CEO and senior management staff on matters of a legal nature relative to all operations at the Authority and its related programs.
- Directs governmental relations activities for the Authority.
- Represents the President & CEO with high-level government and industry officials on legal issues relative to the Authority’s operations.
- Assists President & CEO in coordinating all tasks, activities and personnel associated with all real estate development and real property activities.
- Develops annual activity plans; sets priorities; formulates budget requests; and monitors expenditures for the Legal Department.
- Draft, negotiate, and review various types of contracts for Events DC and its affiliates (e.g., highly complex vendor contracts, intellectual property licenses, sponsorships, consulting agreements, leases, development agreements, etc.), and oversee the OGC’s work in this area.
- Provide (and oversee the provision of) legal services related to the corporate structure of Events DC and its affiliates, including but not limited to the creation of new legal entities.
- Provide (and oversee the provision of) legal review and clearance of Events DC materials, including but not limited to Events DC print and online publications, Events DC membership materials, Events DC press releases, other communications materials, etc.
- Handle (or oversee the handling of) trademark searches and registrations for proposed names/logos that may be used for Events DC programs, services or initiatives.
- Perform and manage other transactional matters as they arise.
- Oversee litigation and legislative matters.
- Manage any litigation in which Events DC is involved, including but not limited to class action law suits, employee litigation, and contract disputes.
- Monitor misuse of Events DC intellectual property (including but not limited to the Events DC name, logo and member data), and enforce compliance through litigation or otherwise where appropriate.
- Evaluate requests and represent Events DC in deciding to participate in public policy litigation, and provide legal clearance for direct litigation and amicus curiae briefs.
- Provide legal counsel on federal and local regulatory inquiries, City Council and congressional investigations and legislative matters.
- Provide Events DC’s position on legal matters to the media and professional groups, as requested.
Education and Training
- Practice preventive law, by proactively educating and informing staff to mitigate risk to the organization.
- Support, communicate, reinforce, and defend Events DC’s mission, value philosophy, and organizational culture.
- Provide education and training to staff to insure awareness of legal issues and how to spot and/or avoid them. Subjects include ethics, privacy, political activity and procurement.
- Manage the legal and administrative staff and work of OGC. Provide strong leadership in creating a high performing, team-based environment. Make personnel decisions and conduct performance evaluations for the OGC staff.
- Mentor, guide, and coach direct reports and staff to expand their capabilities and build management depth in the organization. Ensure the right leaders with the right skills are available to develop and execute strategies.
- Facilitate communications with staff through meeting and planning sessions and implement enhanced effectiveness and operational efficiencies.
- Leverage staff knowledge, skills and talent across functional areas to ensure that staff and volunteers fulfill the mission and objectives of Events DC.
- Demonstrate cultural attributes and behaviors in all interactions in alignment with Events DC’ Strive for Five corporate values.
- Carries out managerial responsibilities in accordance with Event DC’s policies and applicable laws and regulations. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated understanding and familiarity with generally accepted legal business management and administrative principles, practices and procedures.
- Extensive experience handling complex transactions, preferably in hospitality, sports and entertainment and real estate.
- Familiarity with administration of District and Federal government agencies.
- Thorough understanding of standard District and Federal procurement practices.
- Knowledge of standard legal citation system sufficient to perform basic legal research.
- Ability to exercise sound, independent judgment.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to express ideas and convey information effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Excellent evaluation, problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Proficient in the use of basic office automation software (i.e., email, word processing, etc.).
- Excellent organizational skills.
CORE COMPETENCIES (EXECUTIVE)
- Job Knowledge and Technical Expertise
- Human Capital
- Strategic Thinking
- Operational Effectiveness
- Financial Awareness
- External Strategic Awareness
ADA ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Ability to read instructions, directions, letters, memos and other written materials.
- Ability to converse orally and utilize standard telephones and two-way radios to receive and communicate information with staff and clients.
- JD from accredited law school.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible legal experience, preferably obtained both in a law firm and in-house.
- Licensed in good standing to practice law in the District of Columbia or ability to waive into the District of Columbia bar within a reasonable time following the commencement of the position.
- Experience with complex government, quasi-government and/or nonprofit institutions.
- Substantive experience managing relationships with and providing guidance to a diverse group of senior executives, the CEO, and Board of Directors, as well as an ability to work across organizational lines.
- Experience effectively leading, managing, developing and mentoring an experienced legal team.
- Strong experience with corporate law, including mergers and acquisitions.
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES AND TRAITS
- A true passion for Events DC’s mission.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and function as a contributing member on the senior executive team.
- Ability to gain internal respect and build consensus across organizational lines.
- Proactive, engaged, and comfortable with risk.
- Independent, creative thinker who is a thought leader with ability to the status quo when needed.
- Hands-on, customer service-oriented attorney. A “working” General Counsel with absolute integrity and ethical standards.
- Ability to handle challenging and politically sensitive situations with grace.
- Ability to keep abreast of current and changing trends, laws, and regulations affecting strategy and development of function area.
- Highly developed skills in communication, negotiation, conflict resolution, and leadership.
- Ability to be persuasive, coordinate and mediate groups and persons of divergent views and interests.
- Demonstrated experience building external partnerships and strategic alliances.
- Action and results oriented, decisive, adaptable quick study, with proven ability to accurately analyze information and act.
- Excellent oral/written and presentation skills. Detail oriented. Proficiency in preparation and presentation of analytical reports and documents regarding operational status, achievement, and performance.
- Proven experience leading, motivating, and inspiring others.
- Proven ability to manage effectively in a matrix environment, contribute to cross-functional efforts.
- All positions require candidates to successfully complete our background screening process