The Information Systems Specialist II provides help desk support to Events DC’s approximately 165 users. Installs, modifies and makes minor repairs to personal computer hardware and software systems, and provides technical assistance and training to system users. Understanding of Windows networking and Windows Server 2008/2003 also required. The Information Systems Specialist II reports to the Network Operations Manager.
EXAMPLES OF WORK ASSIGNED
• Inspects personal computer equipment and prepares workstations for delivery. Delivers and installs equipment.
• Installs hardware and peripheral components such as monitors, keyboards, printers and disk drives at users’ workstation.
• Installs and configures Apple, Android or Blackberry device for user, including interface with Blackberry Enterprise Server.
• Loads Events DC licensed software packages (i.e., Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2010 Suite, etc.) onto workstation computers.
• Tests applications to verify operation prior to delivering system to user.
• Provides help desk support. Logs and tracks calls. Provides status and completion information to supervisor and users via voice mail, email, in- person communication and regular status reports.
• Maintains the help desk by responding to client inquiries concerning systems operation and diagnoses system hardware, software and operator problems.
• Instructs users in use of equipment, software and manuals.
• Recommends and/or performs remedial actions to correct problems.
• Installs toner for printers and remedies paper jams and other minor printer malfunctions.
• Handles problem recognition, research, isolation, resolution and follow up for routine user problems. Refers more complex problems to system administrators or supervisor.
• Maintains accurate inventory of consumable supplies and keeps the TMD work areas secure, neat and organized.
• Maintains the software library.
• Coordinates activities with systems administrators and other groups, such as Telecommunications and Electrical.
• Attends departmental meetings.
• Assists system administrators with routine administration functions, such as check/invoice runs, system backups, tape management, event log checking, and other network administration functions as necessary.
• Assists Telecommunications Manager with Apple, Android and Blackberry user support and service as well as BES Administration.
• Coordinates the efforts of outside technicians during service calls. Also takes responsibility for equipment sent offsite for repair.
• Performs a variety of other related tasks and duties as assigned
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Thorough knowledge of the following software: Microsoft Windows (7/8), Microsoft Office 2010 Suite, Apple mobile device operating systems, Android mobile device operating systems and Blackberry operating system.
• Thorough knowledge of the following hardware: computer/server components (including the ability to install) hard disk, DVD/CD-ROM drives, network cards, RAM, etc; as well as networking components, wireless components, and specific telecommunications components (Apple, Android and Blackberry devices).
• Ability to handle stressful situations and users in distress.
• Ability to manage time and resources in order to deliver results on schedule with minimum supervision.
• Ability to express ideas and convey information effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Basic mathematical skills.
• Ability to work independently and exercise proper judgment in handling incidents and routine matters.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
CORE COMPETENCIES (SPECIALIST STAFF)
• Job Knowledge and Technical Expertise
• Strategic Thinking
• Project Management
• Problem Solving
• Attention to Detail
ADA ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
• Ability to walk extended distances and climb stairs to access the interior and environs of the Center.
• Ability to read and write instructions, floor plans, forms and other written material.
• Ability to converse orally and utilize standard telephones and two-way radios to receive and communicate information to staff and customers.
• Ability to lift, push, pull and manipulate equipment and objects weighing upwards of 35 pounds.
• High School Diploma or equivalent.
• Two (2) years of related experience.
• Demonstrable thorough knowledge of the following software: Microsoft Windows (7/8), and Microsoft Office Suite (2010).
• Demonstrable thorough knowledge of the following hardware: microcomputer components (including the ability to install) diskette/hard disk/CD-ROM drives, network cards, RAM, etc; networking components.
• A+ Certification
• College Coursework or Degree in related field
• All positions require candidates to successfully complete our background screening process
In an effort to protect our environment from paper waste all candidates must apply on-line on our website: