Manager, Meeting Services (P.M. SHIFT)
Company: Events DC
Date Posted: 04/25/2018
Department: Meeting Services
Location: Washington, D.C.
The Manager, Meeting Services has primary responsibility for all meeting space set-up services for the Walter E. Washington Convention Center and Carnegie Library, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. The incumbent supervises and coordinates workload for department staff directly related to set-up activities. The Manager is responsible for the development and implementation of operational policies and procedures designed to promote efficiency and quality of service including labor scheduling, technical on-the-job training and interdepartmental coordination. Works under the general supervision of, and reports directly to the Director, Convention Management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment.
- Participates in discussion with Sales Managers and Managers, Event Services and Convention Services to identify logistical/operational issues of upcoming events both in the selling and planning phases.
- Coordinates with Event Manager, production crews and Catering department in responding to, and providing planned and on-demand client services.
- Develops annual activity plans, sets priorities, formulates budget requests and monitors expenditures. Develops and is accountable for department’s budge and cost controls.
- Selects, evaluates and disciplines subordinate staff.
- Supervises overall set-up services. Prepares schedules and work assignments for staff and private contractors involved in set-up.
- Inspects the work of subordinates and contractors to ensure adherence to customer specification, Events DC’s quality assurance standards, procedures and safety codes.
- Develops schedules and ensures that routine equipment maintenance and repair of equipment and machinery is coordinated with Maintenance Services Department and/or vendors for routine and emergency servicing.
- Maintains inventory of tools, equipment and supplies.
- Serves as member of the Center’s Emergency Response Team.
- Maintains familiarity with safety regulations to ensure compliance with life safety codes.
- Prepares a variety of reports and coordinates special projects as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of the practices, methods, materials and tools commonly used in set-up services.
- Considerable knowledge of the hospitality industry with demonstrated successes in service delivery.
- Ability to interface well with the public.
- Considerable knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions employed in set-up services.
- Ability to read and interpret building and equipment plans and specifications.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and direct the work of a large staff in “normal” and pressured situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain records and prepares reports.
- Ability to develop estimates of labor, materials and time needs in completion of individual projects.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
CORE COMPETENCIES (MANAGER STAFF)
- Human Capital
- Strategic Thinking
- Operational Effectiveness
- Financial and Expense Management
ADA ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Ability to walk extended distances and climb stairs to access the interior and environs of the Center.
- Ability to read and write instructions, floor plans, forms and other written materials.
- Ability to converse orally and utilize standard telephones and two-way radios to receive and communicate information to staff and customers.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university and/or
- Five (5) years experience in comparable position in a convention center or hotel.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of supervisory/managerial experience.
Mr. Whitney Serrant, email@example.com